Economics

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

If you're clean, don't forget your feet

“Peter said to him, ‘You shall never wash my feet.’ Jesus answered him, ‘If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.’ Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!’ Jesus said to him, ‘The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean.’” John 13:8-10


Wow, what an amazing passage. I love reading anything Peter says because I feel his pain. He’s always trying so hard, and Jesus usually comes down pretty hard on him. But thankfully it is always for a purpose- to correct and restore him to faith.

This is actually really encouraging. I read the last part several times and eventually consulted a commentary. The Ryrie commentary I believe came through on this one:

“Just as in the natural life a man who has bathed needs only to wash the dust off his sandaled feet when he returns home, so in the spiritual life a man who has been cleansed from sin need not think all is lost when he sins in his walk through life. He need only confess these sins to be entirely clean again.”

Here is to being completely clean yet needing Jesus to wash my feet every day. God give me the strength to keep walking…can hardly wait for the day when there is no more dirt in the streets, no more grimy, disgusting feet to clean off.

No comments:

Post a Comment